Dear Lovely Readers,
I apologize for having disappeared for so long. The last two weeks of my life have disappeared in a cloud of insanity that can only be summarized as a combination of beginning my senior year and Murphy's Law. In layman's terms, it's been a bit of a disaster that's taken the better part of a three day weekend and a bunch of sappy movies to cure. Just a warning, though: you still might want to steer clear if you see me around campus. I'm not exaggerating when I say everything I've touched in the last two weeks has broken.
Anyway, rather than spending an entire post whining about this latest train wreck, I figured I'd take a note from my high school newspaper and gloss over the really important stuff. Welcome to the inaugural Pink Paisley Cheers and Jeers of Senior Year! (cue the applause).
Cheers:
1) Cheers to Georgia's attempt at fall this weekend. It was, to borrow a phrase from Bruce Almighty, B-E-A-utiful outside for the better part of the weekend. For the first time in months, there was reason to believe that this incredibly hot, humid weather will eventually come to an end and give us a little bit of heaven on earth. Of course, true to its notorious bipolar nature, we'll have to endure at least another two weeks of scorching weather before we get another beautiful fall-ish day, but whatever. I'm giving this weekend an "A" for effort...just hurry back, 70 degrees, ok?
2) Cheers to the beginning of College Football Season!! I know that a) that technically didn't require capitalization and b) that a lot of people hate this time of year, but I can't help but get excited. Maybe it's the southern in me, or maybe it's the fact that I have several fond memories of college games in years past and a family who literally worships UNC. Whatever the cause, there is something about looking forward to Thursdays and Saturdays and watching freshmen bigger than I am attempt to flatten each other that makes me ridiculously happy.
3) Cheers to Betty White. Lately she's been everywhere, but I'm pretty sure that it's impossible to not laugh when she cracks a joke. She's the perfect blend of self-deprecating, crass, and undeniably classy. I just hope I'm that with it when I'm her age.
4) Cheers to Berry's newest addition: Kilpatrick Commons. Not only beautiful to look at, they also provide much needed dining space outside of the chaos that is D-hall. Plus, they offer a fool-proof way of avoiding the line stretching down the hallway on the ground floor of Krannert. You may have been almost six months late, KC, but we're still thrilled to have you.
5) Cheers to my newest purchase: Five Finger shoes. Yes, they may look retarded 99.9% of the time, but they are still the single most comfortable pair of shoes I've bought in ages. Even better? I can already feel a difference when I walk and run in them. Granted, it's a little embarrassing when people totally talk about me when I walk by, but maybe learning to like what I wear no matter what isn't such a bad thing, you know?
Jeers:
1) Jeers to the Campus Carrier. I know most people don't read it, but the fact that someone allowed last week's cartoon to run two weeks after the current Editor-in-Chief issued a public apology for an article in the first issue of the year is troubling. I'm all for freedom of expression and I totally support the paper's decision to try and run things that make students sit up and pay attention, but there needs to be some acknowledgement that everything in that paper reflects upon the student body as a whole. Visiting families will pick up a copy of the Carrier in order to get a feel for campus life and I, for one, am not comfortable with that cartoon being associated with my beliefs.
2) Jeers to Berry pedestrians. I know that pedestrians have the right of way in this country, but that does not mean that you can simply step out in front of my car and expect me to stop so you can continue on your way. There are numerous crosswalks around campus made especially for that purpose. Granted, it's sometimes much faster to J-walk. I'm guilty of it myself; I just normally stop and look both ways before stepping into the road. Given that we've all made it to the age of 18 and above, it's a pretty safe bet that we learned the rules of crossing the street at some point. Let's use them, ok guys?
3) Jeers to Georgia for crushing Louisiana-Lafayette on Saturday. Enough said.
4) Jeers to professors for agreeing to skip "Syllabus Day" this year. I know that it's boring for everyone, but it's nice to ease back in to this whole college thing, you know? I know that Seniors shouldn't need the break--hopefully we know how to read a class schedule at this point--but just because I'm in 300 and 400 level classes doesn't mean that I don't like a few easy days here and there.
5) And a final jeers to the Speidi sex tape. Really? REALLY?! I'm not even sure what else to say here...they're like a bad allergy: just when we think that they're finally gone, they come back worse than ever.
That's all the news that fit to print...tonight at least. Unforntuately real life comes back in full swing tomorrow morning...wish me luck!
Oh my god, I agree, I hated that none of my professors just went over the syllabus and let us go. Why lecture the first day of class? Why?
ReplyDeleteAnd I hope everything works out and is fixed for you this week and next week and the rest of the semester and all of next semester because we're seniors and people, darn it, we don't deserve to have things be broken and messed up.