It's that time of the week again. You know, the one in which I vent about all sorts of random things and then invade my Twitter followers and my Facebook friends' timelines. Maybe it's a power trip, but I find it thrilling to at least pretend that people out there are perusing my thoughts and thinking about them--even if those thoughts are something about how incredibly random my thought process is. I guess this is part of the reason I've always wanted to be an author: having your thoughts read and dispersed is a kind of immortality. So, I am going to return to my summer posting schedule and post at least twice a week--probably Saturday and then Tuesday or Wednesday. It won't be another cheers and jeers or a Friday Five, just something that I feel like sharing. So get excited. It's coming soon to a server near you :).
Cheers:
1) Cheers to this week for being markedly better than last week. Not that it was difficult to do, but it's still worth celebrating. The better news is that this week looks as though it could be even better than the last. Senior year, could we be starting to get along? Who'da thunk it?
2) Cheers to this year's freshman class. I know, I know, only last week I was venting about them left and right. I'm still not all about the constant presence of "momanddadaren'thereitis" but between the packed Hawaiian dance and the huge influx of Model UN people, it's been kind of fun. I can't help but think that I'm going to miss the best part of this class, though. People tend to get more bearable as they get older and I'll be long gone by the time they graduate. Huh.
3) Cheers to Starbucks and Panera Bread for jumping on the Fall bandwagon early and bringing out the best of their seasonal menu this week. Nothing says Fall like the reemergence of pumpkin EVERYTHING in the pastry display case and having the opportunity to order clam chowder. It's home-y and warm and entirely perfect for brisk weather. Can you tell I like to eat?
4) Cheers to ABC Family for showing Friday Night Lights every weeknight. If you haven't ever seen the show, you owe yourself one episode. You don't have to like football to appreciate the characters and storylines that are so nicely woven in to every episode. At the risk of sounding completely pegging myself as an English major, it's probably the most consistently realistic well-written portrayal of high school life that I've ever seen on television. So you should watch it. And love it. And then come back and tell me how right I was about this whole thing.
5) Cheers to the Campus Carrier for their unsigned Aramark editorial. Granted, I still stand by my condemnation for last week's cartoon, but I also appreciate how difficult it is to write humor. He--or she--also made several valid points. I, for one, would love to see this kind of writing highlighted every week. This author has mastered the art of sarcasm and of getting to the heart of an issue. I can't wait to see more.
Jeers:
1) Jeers to Georgia weather for being stuck in perpetual summer. I don't know if you've noticed, weather gods, but it is SEPTEMBER and the leaves are beginning to fall. I'd really like to break out my boots and sweaters and bid my tank tops adieu for a few months. Please? It's not that I don't love the Sun, it's just that I'm tired of having the same choices day in and day out.
2) Jeers to Alec Baldwin. I'm literally sitting here cringing as I watch It's Complicated, and I'm entirely convinced it's his fault. His character is arrogant, clingy, and altogether disgusting. This, in combination with his outspoken political views and the fact that he seems to insist on walking around shirtless in every movie he's done in the last few years makes him GROSS. Take a note from Steve Martin, Baldwin: play a gentleman. Gentlemen actually keep their shirts on. And they usually get the girl.
3) Jeers to colds. I can't taste anything, I can't smell anything, and nothing sounds good. Plus, it's 95 degrees out. Colds in this kind of weather should be illegal.
4) Jeers to crabby baristas at Starbucks--or crabby people in any kind of restaurant setting. I don't think of myself as a demanding client, but I don't appreciate having half an inch of space between the lid of my cup--or worse, four inches of foam between the lid and my drink--when I pay so much per cup of coffee. I understand that speed is an important factor in most eating establishments, but I would rather wait longer to ensure I get exactly what I ordered. So please, make it easy on everyone: just do your best to deliver what I asked for. I promise I'll tip nicely.
5) Jeers to whoever thought it would be funny to vandalize my hall on Friday night. It's not funny, not clever, and definitely not appreciated. It may not seem like it, but a lot of thought and of work goes into my hall decorations and into those of my fellow RAs. Please, try and think about someone other than yourself next time you are board on a Friday night.
...And so ends another weekly rant. Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone!
Now I have to go to Starbucks AND Panera this week to get my Fall Flavors Fix!
ReplyDelete