Friday, August 20, 2010

Last Friday Five of the Summer

Somewhere between the heat index topping 100 degrees on a regular basis--read: everyday since I've been in Rome--RA training, and trying to tie up any loose ends before classes start, these past two weeks have flown by. Unfortunately, my ability to update this with interesting/random/strange musings has also fallen by the wayside. But fear not, Paisleyans, I'm back and promise to be much more on top of things from now on.

Without further ado, the last Friday Five of Summer 2010:

1) A Public Service Announcement for all upperclassmen returning to my college: I'm not exactly sure where you're going to fit. Over the last 48 hours 700+ Freshmen and transfers have converged upon our campus and the place already seems full. Given that another thousand or so people also have to live, work, and play in the same few acres, you might want to avoid d-hall, v-hall, campus buildings, and any driving on campus for the foreseeable future. Trust me, dodging newbies on bikes, Freshman boys who like to walk in the middle of the road, and trying to find a seat anywhere in Krannert thus far has been a headache. I think I'll spend the next month or so in the Cage: it's air conditioned, has more tv channels than my dorm room, and is large enough that I can loose crowds pretty easily. You might want to start working on a hiding place of your own.

2) Seriously, though, as tempting as it sometimes is to give Freshmen a hard time, try and show a little extra grace to people this week. RAs, First-Year Mentors, KCAB, and about a million other campus organizations have been trying to help the largest class we've ever had get acclimated to an entirely different way of life. We're tired, they're tired and scared and lost, and you losing it or almost hitting them with your car does nothing at all. So, come ready to take a few extra deep breaths, point people in the right direction, and--if you're anything like me--marvel at how young all the new students look. Trust me, it'll surprise you.

3) I feel like a shout-out to all of the students at service academies--and to students at the Air Force Academy in particular--is warranted. While normal freshman and upperclassmen worked and slept our way through summer vacation, the class of 2014 was undergoing basic training and survival training in the heat of a Colorado summer. They've also been in class for almost three weeks and have to balance all of their normal responsibilities with institutionalized hazing. For real. From August until February, 4 degrees are not allowed to speak at meals, must walk only on a certain part of the terrazzo when they cross campus --basically, they have to walk only in ninety-degree angles whenever they are on that particular part of campus--and they have to carry their backpacks next to them at all times. As hard as it is to leave home for the first time, I can only imagine what these kids have been through. So hoo-rah, Class of 2014! We're proud of you and look forward to seeing what you're going to accomplish in the future!

4) Those of you who read this blog are undoubtedly aware of my love for the Bachelor/Bachelorette. You might be pleased to know that even I can't bring myself to watch Bachelor Pad--my five minute foray into the franchise made me feel like I was killing an inordinate number of brain cells. I'm all for mindless tv, but this Survivor/Bachelor combo freaks me out. It's like Temptation Island tried to make a comeback and failed miserably. Instead of your weekly dose of me ranting about various contestants on the show, be prepared for random updates on a Discovery Health Channel show about premature babies called NICU and perhaps the occasional rant about MTV's weirdly compelling show Teen Mom. You didn't actually expect me to give up junk tv altogether, did you?

5) Finally, a shout-out to the new residents on my floor: you guys are awesome and I can't wait to get to know you all better this year! I think we're going to have fun :).

Have a great weekend and try to stay cool, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment